Why Should Dave Rennick Feel Bad In Any Way? He Saved Rory

It was Dave Rennick, Ricardo Gonzalez caddie, that spotted the Rory McIlroy rules breach in Abu Dhabi.  On the second hole on Saturday, Rory in taking relief from a walkway was still standing inside the white line when he dropped the ball, meaning a two shot penalty.  Rennick approached McIlroy on the 18th green to let him know about the infringement.

dave rennick rory mcilroy funny picAfter the round however, Rennick, obviously feeling in some way bad, left Rory a note on his locker, almost asking forgiveness for his actions.

"I couldn't have gone to sleep knowing that I hadn't said anything," Renwick said. "I put a letter, a nice short one, on his locker saying that I'm sure he would appreciate what I did was in good faith."

Firstly Dave, you don’t need to feel in any sorry.  What you did was save Rory’s continued  participation in the event.  Had he signed for an incorrect score and it later came to light that there was an infringement, disqualification would have resulted for him.  Yes perhaps the infringement could have gone unnoticed, but these are the days of social media and we’ve seen over the last week with the Sergio incident, that there is always some watching.

"It was pleasing to hear that Rory had said there was no animosity as we've all got to adhere to the rules out here, after all," Rennick added.

"If I hadn't said anything and Rory had won the tournament by a shot, that wouldn't have been right and I couldn't have lived with myself.

“I feel I did the right thing and if I could have stopped him before he hit the shot I would have. But I was fully 40 yards away at the time.

"We'd just played our third shot and Rory was over the ball. I was looking over and thought: 'I'm sure his foot is inside the white line.'

“I said to Ricardo as we walked to the next tee: 'I'm sure he was standing on the walkway, not by much but enough.'"

I applaud Rennick for his actions.  It screams honour, integrity and intelligence.  Well done Sir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.