The Story About Caddie Simon Clark, Pearl Harbour And Turning Japanese

I really like this little story on Golf.com about caddie Simon Clark who caddies for Ryo Ishikawa.  Clark actually was doing a college thesis on World War II and left Australia to learn the language in Japan.  That was 20 years ago. At the Sony Open, he visited Pearl Harbour for the first time.

simon clarkThe 44-year-old Australian is proficient as an author, just not what you might think. While he has written a 10,000-word essay on why the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Clark is more famous on the Japan Golf Tour for making the yardage books for players and caddies the last 20 years.

Life got so hectic for Clark, he still hasn’t officially finished college

"I still have to do a final review," Clark said. "Look, there's not much I can do with that unless I teach. There's no real career in World War II studies. I tried to join the Air Force but I could never fly jets because I had my knees operated on and they said I couldn't stand the ejections if we had to eject."

The Aussie got into caddying on the Japan Tour after answering a newspaper advert looking for FEMALE caddies, but found himself a career producing yardages for the fledgling Tour.

"I noticed the yardage books were not very good, and I'm pretty good at drawing," Clark said. "I started doing them for Todd Hamilton, and he taught me how to do them with technical drawing. Everyone saw them and wanted me to put them out there. I've been doing it right up until this year. I did them for 20 years. I drew them by hand, and then we got to the technical graphic side of them."

There’s more to caddies than meets the eye!

Technorati Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.