Haney Says Tiger Too Muscled, I Say Percent Fat Doesn’t Go On Scorecards

We’ve all seen Tiger win when he was skinny, we’ve all seen Tiger win when he was ripped.  But ex coach Hank Haney thinks Tiger actually looks bigger and buffer than ever this year; so much so that it may not be a good thing for his game.

tiger muscleHaney said on his radio show

“My opinion is he did too much of that. He does a lot of the gym stuff. I know you need to do some for golf, no doubt about it. You need to be in shape, you need to avoid injury, but my opinion is he really overdoes that. … I look at him now and a lot of guys mentioned on the telecast, he looks bigger this year. I think Peter Kostis mentioned that. He looks like he’s gained more muscle mass. When he was thinner and younger he was actually faster then. The strength maybe helps you get out of the rough but I’d agree that he’s overdone it. But he loves to work out.”

My personal opinion is that Tiger’s obsession with muscle development is to help insulate him against some of the injuries that have dogged his career and to be honest that is probably the way I would go in his position. I’ve had two operations on my leg myself, train almost daily and can empathize.

However I would also say that there’s a wider debate brewing here and believe that being ripped is not a pre-requisite for golfing greatness and care should be taken in marketing it as being so.  I would hate to think overweight golfers would ever in any way be mocked, or sniggered at, for their condition but am increasingly worried that this might be sneaking in to the game.

Now you might say, on GolfCentralDaily I do like to produce satire at Tiger’s expense from time to time, and that is true, but it is more a tongue in cheek admiration of a physique I wish I had.  What I am very careful and conscious of on the site however is never to make an issue, or poke fun at, a players weight.

I give you US PGA Champion Jason Dufner as a super example of a person content in his own skin and yet one of the world’s best players.  So yes, being fit helps a little, but golf is a game for everyone and every shape.

At the end of the day it’s your score that goes on the card, not your weight or percentage fat content.

 

Technorati Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.