Poulter proud of Ryder record

Ian Poulter: Happy to be a US target at the Ryder Cup

Ian Poulter: Happy to be a US target at the Ryder Cup

Ian Poulter admits it makes him proud that people compare his Ryder Cup to legends of the event like Seve Ballesteros.

Poulter has played in four Ryder Cups, winning three times, and he has amassed an impressive 12-3 record in his 15 games including victories in all four of his singles outings.

But it is his performance at Medinah in 2012 that is most remembered - he won all four matches he was involved in and played a massive part in motivating Europe's rally from 10-4 down midway through the second set of matches on Saturday.

Proud

"(It makes me) extremely proud," Poulter said before his final practice round at Gleneagles, where he is expected to continue his superb partnership with Justin Rose.

"How I've performed in the last number of Ryder Cups is - if I really have to sit back and think about it - I'm very proud of that.

"I'm very proud of my record and proud that I've put a lot of blue on the board. I'm passionate as a team player, and yeah, to be mentioned with the likes of Seve and Monty (Colin Montgomerie) and those players is an absolute honour."

American captain Tom Watson admitted earlier in the week that Poulter, as well as world No 1 Rory McIlroy, was one of the players his team would be targeting.

But he is determined to make a positive out of that and says most of his pressure to succeed in matchplay comes from within.

Compliment

"As I just said, I've put a lot of blue on the board for Team Europe, and I guess when you've done that, you've kept a lot of red off of their board," he added.

"I take that as a compliment, being able to deliver for my team and help get us over the line,

"And I guess I take Tom Watson's comment as a huge compliment; to me as a player, as someone that has loved The Ryder Cup and for like Tom, who as accomplished as he is, to pay me that compliment is amazing.

"I think I put more pressure on myself than the millions or billions or however many people are out there wanting me to hole putts. I'm very demanding of what it is I have to go out there and deliver upon, and I feel that I can manage that level within myself because that's what I expect to do."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.