Once Were Stepbrothers. Is Ryder Cup The 'Catalina Wine Mixer' That Brings GMac And Rory Together?

Once were stepbrothers.

I cant help but feeling that GMac is very much on the periphery of this Ryder Cup which is a little bit sad.  Graeme was the hero of Celtic Manor and a team vet at this stage but instead of being out front with his chest out, this time he seems a lot more subdued.



Could this be because of his problems with Rory McIlroy? With Rors now world number one and the man Paul McGinley most needs to keep happy, McDowell has become the forgotten man.  Rory is angry at Graeme for what perceives as having gone behind his back and shafted him with his relationship with Horizon Sports and even though Graeme is severing his ties with the company, the division is too great to just forget.

Even an informal team photo reflects this with Rors and McGinners front centre and Graeme out the back with shy guy Victor.

Speaking yesterday GMac explained the shift in his dynamic with Rory on the course at least.

“Rory and I’s golf dynamic has changed significantly from the first time we ever played together back when perhaps the older brother/kind of younger brother leadership role that maybe I had with him, that’s changed.
“He’s the world’s No1 player. He’s a four-times major champion. The dynamic between him and I is changed forever. He would now be the leader of the two of us and perhaps the dynamic doesn’t work as well as it did in the past. Perhaps I’m the kind of guy that needs that leadership role a little bit, who needs to feel like he is on at least on a level with the guy he’s playing with. I’ll be the first to admit it.

You have to love GMac's honesty at how his game now pales in comparison with Rory's power.

“At Medinah a couple of years ago, and Rory and I spoke about this, I found the better ball format very difficult with him because he likes to go first, I let him at it, and I kind of come second. You know, he’s standing there beating it 350 down the middle, and I put my tee in the ground thinking there’s not really a lot of point in me hitting this tee shot and find myself throwing myself at it, and literally it kind of didn’t help my game much at Medinah playing better-ball with him. Foursomes I think is different. I think we could still play foursomes really well together.”
I'm still hoping this Ryder Cup will be Catalina Winemixer that will bring the two men back together.


Join the GolfCentralDaily community on Twitter for loads more comment on and off the course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.