Pic Of The Week Contender: Payne Stewart's Daughter Poses With Dad's Statue

It might only be 7am here but I got quite emotional seeing Payne Stewart's daughter Chelsea recreate her Dad's iconic celebration alongside his bronze statue at Pinehurst.
The Stewart family were at Pinehurst to receive an award on behalf of their late Dad.

And as it turns Chelsea has the same classiness as her father and is well able to spin a good yarn.  After all she does now work for the PGA Tour!

Speaking about her Dad's US Open win she says

"I was not there. I actually was on a school bus headed back to Orlando from a basketball camp at Florida State University. We were listening to the NBC broadcast on the radio and got back just as they teed off on 18. I didn't even see the last putt drop, but someone ran into the building where we were unloading yelling, 'He made the putt! He made the putt!' We all cheered and hugged. I got back to my friend's house that evening and watched all the highlights. It was great."
And there was this Ryder Cup '91 story about David Feherty.

 I think one story that really shows the man my father was is told by David Feherty. At the '91 Ryder Cup at Kiawah, which was an incredibly heated competition, David and my father were paired together for the Sunday singles matches, and as David was walking from the 16th green to the 17th tee a marshal stopped him and said he couldn't go any further, obviously not recognizing that he was on the team and playing in the match. My dad was walking behind and saw this happening and went over, put his arm around David's neck and said "I'm sorry ma’am, as much as I'd love for you to keep him here, he's playing against me today," and they walked together to the next tee. My dad, even in the heat of the competition, knew that David was being hassled, and he didn't want that to affect the spirit of the competition. I think that really showed his character and what he stood for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.