Review: Are The Tifosi Tyrant The Best Value Multi Function Sunglasses On The Market?

Being that here in my country of Ireland, we had this Summer, for the first time since dinosaurs walked the earth, over a month of 30 degree unbroken sunshine,  I set out to investigate the world of sunglasses and find the best value for money multifunctional  pair on the market.  And now I think I’ve found them.

To qualify for the tag “best value” in my test, a pair of sunglasses must score highest over a number of criteria namely looks, fit, weight, adaptability, performance and do it all for a killer price.  For me the Tifosi Tyrant did and didn’t even need to break sweat along the way.

Looks

Probably the strongest feature of Tifosi glasses across their range is their looks.  Modern, stylish, sleek, compact, tough are some adjectives that spring to mind.  But don’t take my word for it.  , who distribute Tifosi products, have in three years grown their supply to over 40 countries, such is the popularity of the brand.

Fit

Buying glasses is a bit like buying shoes; you really need to try them on first.  Whether you choose to try them on physically or buy on the internet, you want to be assured that the glasses you choose fit first time. 

By using the term multifunctional, I’m looking for a pair of glasses I can play golf in, run in, cycle in and wear casually; not asking a lot am I?! My biggest gripe is that many frames are big and cumbersome a la Geordi LaForge in Star Trek.  I find it very difficult to find a frame that fits snugly around my face, then stay there. The Tifosi Tyrant moulds to any face shape (being especially suited to small and medium faces) and and is virtually guaranteed not to move thanks to the adjustable nose piece and temples.

temple adjustThe rubber covered temple stems are especially satisfying; on first twiddling they seem rigid but once you get a little more manly with the bending you can adjust the stems just the way you like.  Such is the ruggedness of the grilamid and aluminium construction, there’s absolutely no fear of the frame bending off your settings.

The sizing guide on the Tifosi website, for all its range, is also very exact, very visible and make it very easy to figure out which model is best for you.  For those who want to try before they buy, have a really cool retail finder page on their website, which will help you pinpoint your nearest retailer.

Weight

weightWeight isn’t a factor with most sunglasses, but it is with me. I believe you shouldn’t feel them on your face.  I participate in 70 km adventure races (sometimes longer) wearing glasses through running, cycling, climbing and kayaking stages and wear glasses throughout as much for safety as for sun.  Considering the Tyrant doesn’t have price of expensive carbon to be repaid back by you the customer, weighing in at 17 grams on my scales they are still extremely light and functional.

Adaptability

This is where the Tisofi Tyrant really are a class apart.  The lenses are interchangeable in seconds and there are literally loads to choose from when buying.  After much deliberation  I chose three pairs of lenses for my Tyrants to suit my needs; EC, High Speed Red Fototec and Light Night Fototec.

The EC or Extreme Contrast lenses are brilliant for golfing in that they enhance the contrast between ball and turf.  The High Speed Red, I use for cycling and racing on sunny Summer days. The lenses incorporate “Fototec” technology and change from 35.3 to 13.5% light transmission depending on how strong the sun is.  As the sun is obscured the lenses rapidly change shade to let more light in and vice versa.

I pop in the Light Night lenses for evening training sessions and darker days (especially in Autumn and Winter).  These lenses take some beating, changing from almost clear to smoke depending again on the light.  They have the widest range of light transmission of all the Tyrant lenses ranging from 75.9 â€" to 27.7% and change colour rapidly.

The lenses themselves are made from a tough polycarbonate, with 100% UVA & UVB protection.  I have the Tyrant’s lenses to thank for saving my eye already; one took the full brunt of a roadside briar last week at 50 kmph which surely would have caused serious damage to my eye if I hadn’t been wearing them. It didn’t even scratch the lens.

Price

I hate the way sunglass prices range from your petrol station tenner to hundreds of pounds.  Obviously Tifosi do too and price their range very reasonably.  For the current Tyrant model with the Light Night Fototec lenses you can expect to pay around £70 or €65.  That price includes a hardshell storage case and microfiber cleaning bag which I think is exceptionally good value.

Overall Performance

red and helmetThe Tifosi Tyrant delivers every which way you look at them.  I was blown away with the ruggedness, styling, fit, adaptability and technology you get for your money. And the Tyrant is only one of several Tifosi models.  The distributors Zyro also tell me that Tifosi are not sitting on their laurels either, with the new Tyrant 2.0 due for release in 2014 and promises even more advancements in fit and styling.  In all, Zyro will distribute eight different Tyrant models for 2014, some standard with three sets of lenses, two with Clarion reflective lenses, four Fototec versions and one which is polarized and photochromic.

In Italian the word “Tifosi” means a group of fans or supporters and after checking out these Tyrants you can count me in as one more. They are awesome!

 

Note: GolfCentralDaily was not paid to write this review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.