Rory on an 'incredible' run

Rory McIlroy claims he's already targeting major number five after his PGA Championship win at Valhalla

Rory McIlroy admits he is in the form of his life at the age of 25 after clinching his fourth major championship in Kentucky.

McIlroy recovered from losing his overnight lead on the final day to card a closing 68 at Valhalla and finish 16 under par, one shot ahead of a charging Phil Mickelson.

The Northern Irishman told Sky Sports News HQ: "I’m not sure I can sum up the sense of achievement. It has just been the most incredible run of golf I have ever had.

"When I look back on this summer of 2014 I will obviously remember it for a very long time. The Open gave me a lot of confidence but I knew it was only a stop on the journey that I am continuing to go on.

"I said I wanted to go forward. I enjoy winning major championships but it is not what I just want to do  I want to keep winning golf tournaments. I backed it up with a great win at the Bridgestone, coming from behind to beat Sergio (Garcia), and to back that up to win here is very pleasing."

McIlroy admitted he had become concerned after dropping himself out of the sole lead with a bogey at the third hole to tie with Mickelson and playing partner Bernd Wiesberger on 12-under.

Another dropped shot put him further behind the leaders until a brilliant 282-yard three wood approach at the 10th hole, which landed to within eight feet set up a convertable eagle chance.

He added: "I felt quite flat on the front nine. I needed something to ignite me or energise me. I was standing patient as I could but after that eagle that just kick started me.

Proud

"I wanted it and I kept telling myself this isn’t for another major it’s just for your third win in a row. To win another major is huge but to win back to back to back is something I’m very proud of as not a lot of people have done that on tour.

"The three tournaments have been very big tournaments as well. There has been a lot of things I was playing for but personal satisfaction of being able to keep this run going is one of them."

The 25-year-old only needs the Masters to complete a career grand slam, and he is only two away from matching the most decorated European, Sir Nick Faldo, and the Englishman’s haul of six major championships.

However he insisted he was not looking that far ahead and said: "What I’m going to have to do for the rest of 2014 is to put that out of my head. I could easily think about Augusta and 2015 and the career grand slam but there is still a lot of golf left this year.

"I want to finish this year off as well as its going so far and finish it strong. But going into Augusta next year with the chance of winning the career grand slam, to win my fifth major, to win three majors in a row and to even go to hold all four if I win the US Open, I've just got to concentrate on the end of 2014."

A win at Augusta would see him join golfing legends Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Gary Player, Gene Sarazen and Ben Hogan in sweeping the career major grand slam and he added: "I wasn’t old enough to remember Jack winning his majors. I grew up watching Tiger and I  grew watching Tiger dominate and the last couple of majors that I have won (have been) on the same course that Tiger has won on.

"I can’t think about the end-goal if I'm trying to get the certain number of majors right now. I’m on four and I want to get to five and I want to complete the career grand slam. After that I want to become the most successful European ever and go past Faldo and then I’ll turn my attention to some of the bigger numbers.

"Right now I’m on four and I want to get to five and I want to get to five as quickly as I can."

You can hear more from Rory McIlroy throughout the day on Sky Sports News HQ in its new home of Sky channel 401

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.