McIlroy: Confidence is key

Rory McIlroy believes he's in the perfect frame of mind when approaching big tournaments

Rory McIlroy says his mental toughness has been a major factor in seeing him win three tournaments in a row culminating in his triumph at the US PGA earlier this month.

The 25-year-old won the Open Championship in July followed by the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in Ohio, before beating Phil Mickelson by one shot at Valhalla.

And McIlroy, who has now won three of the four majors, insists he is benefitting from knowing what he is able to do when he steps out on to the golf course.

"This peace of mind and mental clarity is something that has been with me now for a couple of months maybe and I feel comfortable when I step out onto the golf course."
Rory McIlroy

“This peace of mind and mental clarity is something that has been with me now for a couple of months maybe and I feel comfortable when I step out onto the golf course,” he told Sky Sports.

“I’m confident in my ability and I know that if I do the right things on the golf course then this is what can happen, these are the results. It’s nice knowing that, stepping out on to the golf course with no doubt in your mind.

“If you can execute what you need to then you’re going to have chances to win all these big tournaments. That gives you peace of mind automatically stepping out on to the first tee.”

Winning run

McIlroy is aiming to make it four in a row at The Barclays at Ridgewood Country Club this weekend and the world No 1 is looking forward to playing at the New Jersey course.

“Ridgewood is a really nice golf course, all traditional, it will suit any type of player,” he said.

“A little bit of length gives you an advantage on some holes but you’ve got to be precise because the rough is so thick.

“They’ve got the course in great condition as well. I like it. I like the course and I like the set-up.

“You’ve got to play shots, you’ve got to move the ball left to right, right to left. You’ve got to be a pretty complete player to win around here.”

Watch all four rounds of The Barclays live on Sky Sports 4 from 7.00pm on Thursday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.