Rory buzzing on Boston return

Rory McIlroy aims to usurp Hunter Mahan at the top of the FedExCup standings at the Deutsche Bank Championship

Rory McIlroy is looking to reclaim top spot in the FedEx Cup rankings as he goes for his second win in three years at the Deutsche Bank Championship.

The Northern Irishman has enjoyed a memorable summer, winning the Open and US PGA Championships â€" and the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in between â€" to establish himself as the world’s undisputed No. 1 golfer.

His winning streak came to an end at The Barclays last week as he had to settle for a share of 22nd having got off to a slow start in New Jersey.

It was Hunter Mahan who emerged triumphant and the American has now usurped McIlroy at the top of the FedEx Cup standing heading into the latest event in Massachusetts.

But an ebullient McIlroy is looking to reclaim top spot and has plenty of good memories to draw upon having won this title two years ago.

“I’m excited to be back here, obviously I’ve had some success here before,” he stated. “2012 was a good year for me here, it was in the middle of great run like I sort of am now.

“It’s a golf course that I think sets up well for me. I played it this morning and it’s a little firmer, especially the greens, than they usually are.

Good test

“It’s going to be a good test out there, the rough’s a little thicker as well so you’re going to have to drive the ball on the fairway and bring in some iron shots pretty high on these greens to stop them.

It looks like it will set up well for me if I play my game.

"I didn't sit out a match at Medinah so my message is 'McGinley stick me down for every match.'"
Rory McIlroy

“I’m excited for the week, it’s an opportunity for me to try and get back to that number one spot in the FedEx Cup and move on to Denver with a little bit of a lead.”

McIlroy also insisted that, despite his headline-grabbing run of form, he is still feeling fresh and is already targeting a big showing at next month’s Ryder Cup â€" indeed, he had a clear message for European captain Paul McGinley.

"I enjoyed my time in the week after winning the PGA Championship and besides I didn't have that many late nights where I let it get the better of me," he added.

"I am trying to conserve all the energy I can because not only do I want to win the FedEx Cup but I know with the Ryder Cup it's going to be a huge week and a long week where you want to be fresh.

"And besides I didn't sit out a match at Medinah so my message is 'McGinley stick me down for every match.'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.