Park pounces to claim title

Inbee Park kisses the trophy after winning the Wegmans LPGA Championship

Inbee Park kisses the trophy after winning the Wegmans LPGA Championship

Brittany Lincicome was left in tears after a late slump handed the LPGA Championship title to Park Inbee.

Lincicome seemed set to taste victory in the fourth LPGA major of the year as she approached the 18th tee.

However she bogeyed the last regulation hole after missing an eight-foot putt to drop into a playoff.

And the American was left wondering what could have been after she bogeyed the same hole, with a poor chip followed by a missed six-foot putt opening the door for Park to successfully defend her title.

An emotional Lincicome admitted the pressure of the occasion had got to her at the end.

"I was really nervous coming down the stretch, especially the 18th hole and then the playoff," the 28-year-old said.

"That putt I had (in regulation) and then the chip I had (in the playoff), I was shaking like a leaf.

Honour

"It's hard to do anything while you're shaking. Obviously I'm human and it's part of life, so hopefully I learn from this."

Park had ramped up the pressure with a birdie at the 17th at Monroe Golf Club in Pittsford, New York, before a par at the 18th and again the playoff sealed the win.

"It definitely feels a big honour to actually put my name on the trophy for a second time and obviously to defend my title,” said Park.

“I think I've been in too many playoffs lately. I feel very exhausted. I played good today, especially coming in number 17 and 18 I holed really good putts.

“I think that put me in the playoff and actually have an opportunity. I am just very happy to be part of the history."

Both Park and Lincicome had finished on 11-under overall, leaving them three shots ahead of teenager Lydia Ko, while Spain's Azahara Munoz and Sweden's Anna Nordqvist (71) were tied for fourth at six-under.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.