Mike Hoey’s Tour Diary (Part One)

Music
This year GCD is honoured to have five time European Tour winner Michael Hoey write his Tour diary.  You can follow Mike on facebook here and on twitter here.
 
Hi everyone, Mike Hoey here, all ready and set for Mike’s Tour Diary with Donal this season. I’m always Michael Hoey on  the leaderboards but my friends call me Mike!
 
I’m really looking forward to getting into the meat of the European Tour season. I feel my game is in a good place; I have been working hard on it at home with Johnny Foster and in Dubai with Justin Parsons. The suitcase is bulging and the passport fresh for another go on the Tour merry go round. Let’s see, first I’m heading out to Dubai for a 10 day practice marathon, then on to Malaysia and China, then home for a flying visit before Spain, Wentworth and Sweden.
 
deacon blueI have the iPod charged and loaded up with retro tunes. I wouldn’t know One Direction from Wrong Direction but I’m a big 1980’s music fan! If Deacon Blue or Bryan Adams sung it, I’ll have it! It’s great to have a distraction when you’re not playing or practicing.
 
the butlerSometimes my wife Bev and daughter Erin come out with me on Tour; we stay in apartments and try to make it as much like home as possible, wherever we are in world. It’s no fun being on your own on Tour. I try to go out for a meal with the Irish or Scots lads where there’s always chat and good banter instead of staying in the hotel room and taking the easy option, room service. Actually I am in need of a good book, film or a TV series box set for the year ahead, so any recommendations would be most welcome. The last movie I watched was in South Africa called The Bulter. I love actually going to the cinema, but that’s a rarity nowadays.
 
 
160019139MW00358_The_MasterEverybody is talking about The Masters but I’ve just realized I probably won't be able to watch it much live because I'll be in Dubai. With the time difference it'll be tough. I’ll be trying to get my body clock in sync with local time especially as I'm heading further East after. The last thing I want is to step off the plane in Malaysia a couple of days before the event and be wrecked. I suppose if I had to pick one player to win The Masters it would be Adam Scott. He didn’t get the job done at Bay Hill but his swing is in the slot and he’s in good form heading into Augusta.
 
I do often get asked if I ever have a hankering to go play on the PGA Tour for the likes of five million dollars every week. Of course everyone would like to play and clemsoncompete for mega money like that; guys are lying if they say otherwise. They really know how to put on a show in the USA; the atmosphere, crowds and courses are all amazing at PGA Tour events. My team at Clemson college included Jonathan Byrd, Lucas Glover and DJ Trahan and they are all household names with big wins on Tour at this stage. I met up with them all a few years back at the HSBC Champions, The Open, Bridgestone and the USPGA. It’s inevitable that talent goes where the pay is. I’m just hoping that the European Tour doesn't suffer too badly.
 
fotaHaving said that I’m really looking forward to the Irish Open this year. Cork is a fantastic place and it should be a cracker. I've not played Fota Island since 2002 but the course was really good then and the greens were pure. I am looking forward to going back. The announcement that Royal County Down will host in 2015 is big too; that will be pretty amazing. As always it’ll be fingers crossed for a good weather week to show off the countryside properly and to get the crowds out.
 
The Northern Ireland Open is a work in progress; watch this space is all I can say at the moment. Galgorm Castle hosted a pretty good event last year which the Challenge Tour guys praised very highly so it would be a shame to lose it.
 
rooney vs cityOff the course I like to watch a bit of soccer. I’m a Liverpool supporter but went to watch the Manchester derby with my caddie Gerry Byrne. He’s doing yardages on all Wayne Rooney’s free kicks!
If I was a betting man I’d have to say Liverpool are looking good to win the league. I have to say that to keep peace with the brother  and sister in law and Bev who are all Liverpool fans. But in fairness Sturridge and Suarez are having some season.
Now where did I leave my Kenny Dalglish jersey?
See you next time!
Mike.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.