Did Steve Sands “Set Up” Patrick Reed With A Leading Question?

So here we are midweek after Patrick Reed’s win and controversial interview.  On second and subsequent viewings it becomes more obvious that interviewer Steve Sands manipulated what Reed would say by leading him down the path of reiterating his Saturday comments about being top five in the world.

reed funnyShould Steve Sands have been more responsible and just gone with the “Well Patrick, how do you feel” question. Maybe?

Or did the US media know that in Reed they potentially had a firecracker that if ignited could produce some great written fodder and pad out a half hour on the Golf Channel?

 

"I'm one of the top five players in the world," Reed told Steve Sands (see the interview here). 

Then later, the name of Tiger Woods was taken in vain.

"My wife actually calls him my twin star. I am reckless like he is.” Reed was on a roll. “I like to go for everything. But at the same time, that's how we win events, that's also how we lose events. It's one of those things that we don't play scared.”

Oh dear, I’m not sure about the “we” bit.

However technically pretty much all of what Reed say about being amongst the best in the world this season IS true.  It’s more how he said it that seems to have rubbed people up the wrong way.

He did in fairness clarify his remarks on the Golf Channel the following day.  “I can be a top five player in the World,” he said “not that I am now.”

“I was still in the moment,” he said as part of the backtracking.

Here’s Reed as predicted on the Golf Channel!

 

 

 

In hindsight, even though I thought Reed’s comment did come across as arrogant, I’m happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, applaud his great play to date and am looking forward to seeing how he performs in the Majors this season.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.