Were Koreans Hit With Penalties To Let Rory McIlroy Win?

korean 2Rory McIlroy didn’t wind up winning the Kolon Open in Korea but the organizers did everything they could to ensure he did; slapping two shot penalties on two players, one of whom was the leader, deep into the final round.

Kim Hyung-Tae was leading the event when he and playing partner Hong Soon-Sang were approached on the 17th tee by a referee and told they were both being hit with a two shot penalty.  According to the rules official both men violated rule 13-4 after they grounded clubs in an area deemed a hazard on the 13th hole. 

After completing their rounds, there followed a two hour standoff and return to the 13th hole for the accused while officials reviewed TV footage.  Though Kim steadfastly denied any wrong doing he was eventually ordered to accept the penalty six by the Korean Golf Association rules committee, who voted 5-3 against him.  AdamSarson.com posted this gif of the incident.

korean violation

Even eventual winner Kang Sung-Hoon sounded embarrassed at what happened.

Q: That was strange
A: I'm a really good friend of him so at the moment it doesn't feel great. Even though I won the tournament, I just feel really sorry for him. I was actually out there to celebrate for him, but … I don't know … I don't know what to say. It's horrible.
Q: Circumstances aside, you're playing well at the moment. Two wins in-a-row
A: I really didn't think I played that well this week. I made a lot of mistakes and didn't think I had a chance -- even when I had finished the last round. On the front nine I tried so hard, but on the back I decided to just let it go, what happens will happen.
Q: Korean Open champion, but mixed feelings?
A: Yeah. Hard to celebrate in these circumstances. It doesn't feel like it.

Technorati Tags: ,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.