Sunglasses Wars: Bolle V3 Vs Petrol Station Shades. Which Are Better?

I have to admit I was never much of a sunglasses man. I probably couldn’t differentiate between a pair of petrol station shades and those pro golfers or cyclists wear. With this in mind I contacted top sunglass manufacturer Bolle to ask them to explain what your hard earned money gets when you shell out for a top of the range pair of sunnies as opposed to the petrol station shades for a tenner or the pair the hawker on the pier in Barcelona is letting me have for a fiver. They pointed me towards their V3 models as worn by Lee Westwood.

The first big difference between cheap and quality shades is the lenses. Bolle use B Clear lenses made from ultra-lightweight Trivex material. Both sides of the lens contains a coating which prevents perspiration from every building up. Also the lenses are coated with an extremely thin ‘Carbo Glas’ layer rendering them scratch resistant.  Glare reducing and polarized, B Clear lenses compared to cheap ‘n cheery ones are like comparing  Muhammad Ali to Audley Harrison.

The second thing I never knew is that top of the range sunglasses come with a range of lenses. And there was I thinking a) they were all dark brown and b) lenses were glued in place! The Bolle V3 have a very nifty interchangeable lens system that allows you to change lenses according to the conditions with a satisfying click to know they’re firmly in place.  They come with a couple of sets of lens and several others than be bought very reasonably.  My Barcelona knock offs lenses were brown and yes you’ve guessed it, glued in place.

The B88 frames are lightweight, tough and flexible. The silicone nose pads can be moved around for the perfect custom fit.  Bolle frames are tough and rugged, designed to be manhandled, and just rebound back not matter what abuse is shelled at them.  Speaking of Shell, my petrol station frames are thumb and forefinger lifting only or else the little screw at the side gets loose!

So to finish on shelling, will I shell out for a quality pair of Bolle V3 sunglasses as opposed to those for a tenner on the street? I think I just might! http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/

Technorati Tags: ,,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.