Mark O’Meara’s Tiger Woods At Muirfield 2002 Story

Tiger Woods was punching 285 yard 4-irons in practice yesterday, but here’s the story Mark O’Meara told the Telegraph about a younger Tiger Woods at the 2002 Open Championship at Muirfield.

tiger muirfield"We're on the 15th hole and I come up behind him and say: 'Hey, Tiger, slow down. I want to talk to you about something.' 'What?' snaps Tiger. 'Just slow down. Come here.'

"So he comes up to me. I put my arm on him and say: 'I know how much this tournament means to you. You know I think you're the greatest player who ever played the game. That's not to be disrespectful to Jack [Nicklaus]. I just want to let you know today you arrived.'

"He says: 'Mo, what are you talking about?' 'I know the pressure you're under and what you're trying to do. And you're going for a wad today. But you know what, you've acted like a champion.' Then he says: 'I can tell you this. I have tried my ass off on every single shot.' 'That's why I'm telling you - you've arrived. Because you didn't act like a spoiled little brat. You acted appropriately. Tiger Woods doesn't have to struggle too often and you know what? You're struggling today, bud.'

"Tiger ended up shooting 81 and I waited at the car while he did all the media.

"We drive out of Muirfield and as we're passing through Gullane I ask him: 'Are you all right?' He says: 'Yeah, I'm all right.' 'How did it go?' 'Good. I've got a game plan for tomorrow.' 'Good. What is it? You don't mind me asking?' 'Yeah. I'm going to get back to even par or under par for this tournament tomorrow afternoon.'

"The next day Tiger went out and shot 65. The kid's unreal. And you know what? I still beat him by a shot."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.