Phil Mickelson Swaps Driver For Phrankenwood At Augusta. Should We Be Worried?

It looks like Phil Mickelson will not carry a driver in his bag at Augusta after Callaway engineers cobbled together what they call a Phrankenwood. A 45 inch long, 8.5-degree hot 3 wood designed to go as far as and replace his driver.

phrankenwood driverMickelson said yesterday

"The following week (after winning the Waste Management Open in Phoneix) I put in the X-Hot 3-wood and I hit it as far as my driver," Mickelson said. "I couldn't believe it. It shot off the face, it had the optimum spin that a driver would have and I hit it as far as my driver. And as you've noticed as I've played Doral and I've played Houston and I've played these last few weeks I hit it off almost every tee because it's so easy to hit and it just bores through the air and I don't have to manipulate it and it just goes so far.

"So I asked the engineers to take that technology in that club, in our 3-wood and just … put it on steroids."

"It looks like a 3-wood but it's bigger than our 3-wood and it's almost like a small driver. But it's the 3-wood technology in our X-Hot," Mickelson said. "What it's done is taken a lot of spin off of it. If you watch, you'll see that a lot of the shots off the tee that I hit have a lot more scoop on 'em. Tee shots on nine are getting down to the bottom of the hill -- I haven't been able to do that in years. Tee shot on 10 is getting another 15 or 20 yards, giving me a club or less than I've had in years. The tee shot on 15 is getting down to where I'm getting one or two clubs less in because it comes off fast and has low spin and it's running and that's exactly what I want here."

phrankenwood 2"This is my driver. It looks like a 3-wood. It's three wood technology. It's a larger 3-wood," Mickelson said. "But it's got a driver shaft in it but it's hot like our 3-wood. We had to put hot in the name it's so hot. Legally."

"You heard me say that it's my driver right? I don't know if I'm getting this clear. It's a driver but it just looks like a 3-wood because our drivers are so big now. But this one is smaller because it's an enhanced 3-wood."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.