Higgs On Tour: David Higgins Diary Part 3. So Close in Africa

Hi everyone. David here.

david logosI ALMOST had a great week at the Africa Open.  Almost! I was in the top 10 on the leaderboard deep into the event and finished in a tie for 17th, but I was really not far off. I hit some lovely shots during the final round, but to be honest I just wasn’t holing out as well as i should have been.  As soon as I saw the course and windy conditions at the East London course, I knew it would suit me.   Even the road in the town by the sea reminded me of my own home town of Waterville in Ireland!

If you thought the winds looked strong on TV, trust me they were really strong!  Seeing my name high on the leaderboard for so long was super for me. I am out here to win an event this year, so getting my name up there as often as possible is all part of achieving that goal.

east londonPic: East London looked a bit like home!

I was very comfortable being in contention and it was great to get the juices flowing again and to feel that pressure. You could ask any pro golfer, that is why they play this game, to feel that excitement.

I’m going to forgive Steve Beddow for saying I was 41 in his commentary, he aged me by a year!  It’s different for the players; when you are out there competing, you don’t even pay attention to age etc. In fact you are so keyed into your own game and what you are doing yourself that it sometimes can be hard to remember who you even played with during the week!

Had it been a few weeks later in the year and I was a little bit sharper, I really believe I could have won it.  Although it was disappointing to shoot two over on Sunday, when I was boarding the plane out of there, a great feeling came over me when i thought to myself that I have at least 22 more attempts at this.... Exciting times ahead.

I’ve been circling a few events in the calendar where I think really suit my game. Madeira, Holland, Wentworth (where I top 10’d in the BMW PGA last year), Carton House, Gleneagles and up in the mountains of Crans are all courses I would be very comfortable on and have played well on in the past.

spectatorsI’ve decided to stayed on in Pretoria this week and am busy practicing at the courses in the area.  Robert “Rasta” even managed to rustle up some four legged spectators for moral support!

I played the Tshwane Open course on Monday. Now I’ve seen a lot of courses in my day but I’ve never seen fairways as wide!  It’s another really exposed course and wind will definitely be a factor again.  Needless to say, I like that. I’m going to head up there again on Monday for another reconnaissance mission around it before play on Thursday.

You have to get your  practice done early in the morning out here, then rest a little during the extreme heat of the day before heading out to beat more balls in the afternoon.  Practicing all the time might sound pretty boring  but I’m loving it. I’ve got another bite of the cherry here and I’m going to make the most of it!  My friend Attie also sends his regards to everyone. He’s mad into the golf and is making me pay for my bed and breakfast with lots of golf lessons!

django-unchained-christoph-waltz-drinks-beer-el-pasoAnd now for the bit you’ve all been waiting for, the Higgins movie recommendations. First you have to see Tarantino’s ‘Django Unchained’. Christoph Waltz stole the show!  I also saw two other good movies, Cloud Atlas with Tom Hanks and  Flight with Denzel Washington.

miss liz cookingAnd finally a word to my better half Liz back at home.  I REALLY REALLY miss your cooking! Look at what I’m having to eat!  I’m wasting away here!

Thanks everybody for your support.  See you next time.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.