Higgs On Tour: David Higgins Diary Part 2. The Joburg Open

david higgins old Hi everyone, David here.  You’ll all be glad to know I’ve left sunny Barbados and finally got back to the real world.  I’m down in South Africa for the Joburg Open and all is well here. I got down on here on Saturday and have settled in nicely at this stage ahead of my first European Tour start of the season.

The great thing about this week is I don’t have to stay in a hotel.  You might think hotels are nice or a luxury, but for a golfer they can become almost like a cell.  This week I am staying with my friend Attie Johnson. I’ve known Attie for ages dating back to my first visits to South Africa.  It will make such a difference avoiding that old hotel room and being able to catch up with Attie. He is a character and great entertainment.

dogs shooting I got back home to Waterville in Kerry for a couple of days after my “practice” in Barbados.  It was cold!!  But us Kerrymen are hardy lads and myself, my brother and my Dad made sure we took the opportunity to get out woodcock shooting on the last day of the season. It all ends from the first of February.

Pic: The dogs getting ready for the end of their season and the start of mine.

We really enjoyed the day. It’s just the simple pleasures that count for so much, like seeing the dogs working the cover again. They are absolutely flying at the moment and benefitting from a change in diet.  I have them on Connolly’s Red Mills dog nuts (they are my new cap sponsors!) and they are full of energy and looking like show dogs.

My game is in a really good place heading into the Joburg Open. I’m lucky and might get a jump on some of the field because the grass type down here is very similar to Barbados, so I didn't have to make much of an adjustment. The biggest difference is that the ball travels much further at altitude than it does at home.  You’ve got to figure out your yardages with each club and get them dialled them correctly before the off.  That’s the biggest adjustment.

The Joburg Open is played over two courses and it has been pelting with rain in the weeks building up to the event.  The East course is playing quite long due to all the water and will surely make the course play tougher and thus keep the scoring down. I like that, it should suit me. On the other side of the property, the West course is a bit shorter and I think some of the guys will go very low around there.  I hope I’m one of them!

Robert The Rasta This week I have Robert "Rasta" on the bag.  Robert has been working for me when I’ve been in South Africa for ages, if I had to give you a year, I’d say 1997. Boy, that's a long time! I snapped a photo this morning during our practice round.  Check out those locks. And not a grey hair in sight!

Pic: Robert Rasta powering up the fairway with my Waterville bag.

My goal for the week is to win the event. I will have to play very well to achieve that, but that is my goal.  There’s no point setting a goal of second best.

The food is great in South Africa. There’s all kinds if everything and due to the exchange rate everything is cheap relative to home. I couldn’t tell you exactly what the rate is, but it sure makes a nice meal taste that little bit nicer!

It's actually summer time down here so the vibe is good. Sunshine seems to put everybody in good form. It certainly has with me.  It's great to be getting another crack at this. It's only when you have been away from the tour for a while that you realise what a great opportunity it is to hold a tour card.

I feel like a rookie again, fresh from my few seasons without all the air miles and most importantly, hungry for success...

Here we go!

 

Technorati Tags:

Pics: David and Getty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.