Son, Barbaree lead Junior PGA Championship (The Associated Press)

BRYAN, Texas (AP) -- Yujeong Son matched the women's course record with a 7-under 64 on Monday to take the first-round lead in the Junior PGA Championship, and U.S. Junior Amateur champion Philip Barbaree topped the boys' leaderboard at 66.

The 14-year-old Son, from Norman, Oklahoma, had eight birdies and a bogey to tie the Miramont Country Club women's record set in the event last year by Ellen Takada.

''It was a good round overall and my putting was great,'' Son said. ''I was hitting my iron shots really close and I had chances for birdie that I eventually made.''

Fai Khamborn of Cincinnati was second after a 67.

The 17-year-old Barbaree, from Shreveport, Louisiana, rebounded from bogeys on Nos. 9 and 10 with birdies on Nos. 12-14.

''I told myself just to learn from it and to remind myself not to do that again,'' Barbaree said. ''Today, I learned.''

Austin Eckroat of Edmond, Oklahoma, and Jack Snyder of Phoenix were a stroke back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Naked Pics Of Holly Sonders. The Big News To Emerge From The 2013 PGA Show

Sarah Stirk Nipple Gate: Navy Top Leaves Viewers Disappointed

Holly Sonders Quits Golf Channel After Contract Talks Fail. Moves To Fox.